Thursday, November 13, 2008

The Coyote and the Elephant (aka I haven't been home in a week)

Hello, small reader base. (All one of you?)

This morning, I made a startling discovery: I am the laziest bastard this side of not actually being a bastard. I'm sure that, were I actually a bastard, I would definitely be the laziest of them all.

In the process of this epiphany, I experienced a second epiphany: I am in no shape to run a marathon. Luckily for myself, this epiphany occurred at a time when marathons weren't on my mind at all., and I hadn't even thought about considering running one. So...crisis averted?


I guess the point to all of this is thus: As we move along in life, we learn many things. But are all the things we learn really worth the time we take in learning them? Two years ago, I learned what an imaginary number was. Since that time, after taking a test on the material, I haven't done anything that even remotely required that knowledge. So why did I need to learn it? All the time I spent wrapping my mind around this abstract concept, I could have been thinking about the real nature of things.

I guess there's someone in charge out there who doesn't think that actual independent thought is too important.


This is the Coyote saying, "One may fill his head with facts, but never fill his head with truths."

No comments:

Post a Comment